Sunday, March 15, 2009

Writing your own story

Spring is quite the tease, isn't she? Two weekends ago it snowed 5 inches. Last weekend it was so unseasonably warm, in the high 70s, we knew it couldn't last. This weekend it is chilly and dreary and rain without end, amen. It is true that weather affects peoples' psyche, and this is the kind of weather that can make your moods yo yo around.

The Heels lost and Duke won the ACC championship, which is a double whammy for a person of my loyalties. On a personal note, we are dealing with the loss of our companion of 13 years, my canine friend, Lucy.

However, we are not going negative here. My husband and I are both gainfully employed. Our family and friends are enjoying comparatively good health. The financial markets may be finally bottoming out and there is a case for cautious optimism. Several weeks ago we attended the wedding of our niece; a unique and lovely occasion.

Last week, we also attended the funeral of a friend's father and his eulogy really inspired me. Mr. Chuber was one of those "ordinary" people you meet everyday, but his life was really extraordinary. He survived being a POW in WWII, like my own father. He enjoyed a happy marraige for over 60 years, raised 3 children and ran a successful business. He was a devout Catholic, lover of animals, an inventor, a ballroom dancer and an entrepeneur.

Listening to the story of this man's life, I realized that we are all the author of our own stories, whether or not we are conscious of it. What I choose to do today may be what I am remembered for tomorrow. If our acts define us, how will you be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, say what you want to. I certainly do.