Friday, October 9, 2009

Autumn musings....(as opposed to what I "muse" about in Spring, Summer or Winter.)

Well, it was early Spring last time I blogged and it seems like the world has been waiting patiently for my latest revelations. (i.e.-nobody appears to have noticed that it has been awhile...) That's o.k. as this is pretty much a writing exercise for myself that I don't mind others reading. My journals however, are another story, and will have to be destroyed before my demise. You guys don't want to know what I really think. The journals from the '80s were more interesting but the latest ones just have a lot of junk about plants, dogs, cooking and old lady tennis.

What's new since April?

Uncle Bill and I have been to Vegas twice. (Sadly, no huge winnings to brag about.) We did take a week in September to drive up to Vegas from Phoenix. Besides a lot of cactus and desert, we viewed the Grand Canyon. I had visited the Canyon before, with my friends Leigh and Bryn, as a 40th birthday girl's trip. The mule ride into the Canyon with Leigh is one of my favorite stories to tell whenever I want to entertain myself at the expense of my audience, who are usually bored to tears. Bill had never seen the Canyon, except for flying over it in a commercial plane. Words and pictures can't do it justice. It is too vast and awesome to describe, photograph or paint. It is also an ever-changing thing; as the light plays on the different exposed layers of earth, it creates a rainbow of colors. It is something that simply must be personally experienced to be properly appreciated. In short, I highly recommend that you put it on your list of things to see before you expire.

In other news, Gracie, the puppy, is getting huge. She still has a crazy amount of energy, which is typical for a Lab. Emma, our older chocolate girl, loves her and so do we. The cat told me that for him, the jury is still out.

Have recently exchanged some communications with my former stepson. This is pretty exciting to me, as I haven't heard from or seen him in over ten years. He has grown from a beautiful boy into an equally beautiful man and I look forward to learning more about him and his life with his lovely wife. Hoping that I will also be able to re-connect with his brother, who apparently is living in the Boone area with his equally lovely wife and two daughters.

My brother's oldest daughter, Brawley, is in her freshman year of college at ECU and apparently acquitting herself honorably scholastically. This is not in the tradition that I established at Chapel Hill 30 years ago and I am proud that she has realized so quickly that college does provide an opportunity to learn something in addition to the Budweiser poem, which I can still recite. Rod's other children seem to be doing well. Dottie is an athlete and Facebook junkie; Drake is gifted academically and learning to play several brass instruments, including the sax and the tuba; Eleanor is rocking 5th grade and full of charm. (I do think that Drake needs to know that the sax is an infinitely more sexy instrument than the tuba.)

Other family news; our grand nephew, little Henry, celebrated his 1st birthday this summer. Unfortunately I was out of town and couldn't attend this gala event. He continues to delight and amaze all who behold him (particularly his grandmother, Kathryn, and his parents, Jennifer and big Henry.) We are looking forward to seeing the little guy and the whole gang tomorrow night at the Valalik fall birthday bash at Jen and the Hens' house.

Andy and Joyce's kids are prospering. Their daughter, our niece Mallory, and her new husband ,Chris (a.k.a. Mook), continue to live a life of travel and adventure, accruing animal friends along the way. They have several dogs and I heard they recently added a horse named Maverick to their menagerie. Looking forward to catching up on their latest exploits tomorrow night. Her brother, Jonathan is at the College of Charleston and we keep threatening him with a visit. (Scariest threat we could think of to keep him in line.)

Parents keep on trucking. Bill's dad and his new bride, Joannie, just returned from an Alaskan cruise with Bill's Uncle "So Big"(real name Richard, but he is tall, thus the nickname. Apparently, before my time there was also an Uncle "Teenie", who was "So Big's" twin brother and also tall. Go figure.) Joe will be 82 and Joan will be 80 years young, at the end of this month. They really are delightful.

My parents aren't enjoying the same robust health, but they are living quietly at the Pines and doing the best they can. My mother, Betty, is still a piece of work, as those of you who know her may recall. Her 81st birthday was this Wednesday and God bless her and God bless my dad, for living with her for over 50 years. (I believe this task has been made easier by the fact that he has been stone deaf for the last 15 of those years.) Incidentally, Joan and Betty would kill me for publishing their ages on the internet, but I am confident they won't ever read this.


Happy Halloween everybody and don't let the goblins bite!

LDVal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, say what you want to. I certainly do.